Do you ever make a card/project and it just seems like it WANTS to be thrown away? Well I occasionally do and the card I am sharing with you today is one of those projects. Between all the smudges and one major screw-up I was so close to tossing this one out. But I had put so much work into it, so I walked away for a few days and then came back and finished it! I’m so glad I persevered because I absolutely love the finished card!
I would consider this card to be a Thank You Card in a nontraditional sense, but it could also be used as a hello, friendship or general appreciation card. I think it’s pretty versatile.
So let’s get started:
So I started by cutting a piece of Ranger Watercolor Cardstock down to an A2 size which is 4 1/4″ X 5 1/2″. Then, using the Avery Elle Berry Good stamp set and Memento Tuxedo Black Ink, I stamped the peach image twice onto some Inkadinkado Masking Paper and trimmed them out with my scissors. If I was to do this card again I would definitely create three masks instead of just two. Again, this project just went wrong all the way around, but you will see how I fix this pretty quickly!
Now for all of the stamping that I did I used my MISTI, like usual. I also was sure to use my embossing bag each time before stamping each image in Versafine Onyx Black Ink and then using Ranger’s Superfine Detail Clear Embossing Powder to heat emboss each peach. I did this because I knew I would be watercoloring the images and when you heat emboss it creates a well that helps me control my colors. It really reduces the amount of bleeding I get with my images.
So I showed you above all the supplies I used to stamp each peach and below are the pictures of how I masked them to create a “pile” of peaches. I used some masking tape to cover the stem and leaves of each one and then inked up the stamp. Then, I removed the tape and stamped the image onto the cardstock, making sure I had masked off my peaches I wanted to be appear to be in the front. As you can see below I only created two masks, however, there were a few instances where I really needed three. To remedy this, I just cut a rough circle shape out of masking tape, since I already had it out, and used that as my make shift mask. This worked ok, but like I said if I had to do this project all over again I would definitely create three to begin with. But live and learn, right?
So since I used pigment ink to stamp each peach I had a few smudges along the way, but with each smudge I just kept going knowing they weren’t that big of a deal and I could sand those away. Then I got in a hurry, which I know better than to do, and I completely forgot to remove my tape masking off the leaves and stem before I stamped it onto the paper. After all that hard work I thought I had just completely ruined it. I knew I didn’t want to start over, so after a few minutes of calming down (LOL), I moved on and kept masking and stamping and trying to figure out a way to save this project. Here you can see my big goof up.
As I also said before, I had some minor smudges, which was just a result of using pigment ink and masking. This happens to me quite often and really isn’t a big deal as I just take a sanding block (which you can see is well loved) and sanded away lightly until you couldn’t see the black ink anymore. Then, I just used my eraser to smooth the paper back out and those little smudges were all gone! However, I did still have the big “smudge” to deal with, but we’ll fix that later.
Moving on, after all the stamping and masking was done I started to watercolor each peach using some Distress Inks and Markers in the colors of Festive Berries, Barn Door, Mustard Seed, Wild Honey, and Spiced Marmalade. My pallette is simply a piece of white cardstock that I have laminated.
So now that my panel had dried it was time to address my big mess up and start putting the card together. So, I took this die set from My Favorite Things and cut the two banners and circle from some black, peach and white cardstock scraps from my stash. I always use this die set when I need banners because I cannot cut an even banner freehand.
Using my Versafine Onyx Black Ink and Ranger Superfine Detail Clear Embossing Powder I stamped and heat embossed the “You’re a Peach” sentiment onto the white circle die cut. I also prepped the surface of my cardstock with my embossing bag, but forgot to include it in the picture.
To finish this card off I used some Scor-Tape and foam tape to attach the banners and sentiment circle onto the lower right side of the watercolor panel to hide my big goof. (And then did a small dance because I didn’t have to throw away all that hard work!) Then I just trimmed about 1/8″ from the left side of the panelast and, using Scor-Tape again, attached it to a black A-2 card base.
And the recipient of this card will never know under that sentiment there’s a huge black splotch of ink!
Here are a few more images of the finished card!!
Thanks for looking and happy crafting!!!!